Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Fuel System

The fuel tank is as clean as I can get it. I let it soak with a solution of muratic acid and water for about 24 hours then rinsed several times with water. A lot of crud came out and it looks really clean on the insides that I can see so I think it is in good shape. I blew out the line going from the pump to the tank and it was full of old bad gas. I  sprayed a lot of carb cleaner in there and it is sitting at the moment waiting to be blown out. I think I will put some kind of temporary inline disposable filter before the fuel pump to catch any initial crud that may be lingering.

I have also started on the fuel pump. It is disassembled and cleaned. Now I have a good idea what I will need to get for my next parts buy. I can't decide what color to paint the pump case, either black or red. I'll surf around and see what it was stock. Here is the pump before I took it apart for cleaning. I'm worried that I may get kinda bogged down with the carbs. I must confess that carburetors baffle me so I may enlist some help from others on that one. The SU carbs really intrigue me so I really want to learn how they work and how to tune them. 

1 comment:

  1. Kevin, I know someone with a bit of SU carburetor knowledge. He is not an expert by any means, but did successfully rebuild the ones he had on his MGA.

    ReplyDelete