Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Tank is out.


I am totally on a roll. The gas tank virtually popped out tonight.


I am really quite amazed at what little resistance it put up. So far, very un-MG of it. I am pleased to report that the inside of the tank is not as bad as I feared. I removed about a quart of very old gas that really stank up the place. But upon removal of the sending unit I only saw some very mild surface rust and the expected glumps of varnish. Overall not bad. The tank is in great shape but I fear that the sending unit is pooched. The float doesn't move and the base is covered in some kind of  grey glop. I'll hit it with a little carb cleaner and if it frees up I can then get Bruce to help me test the circuitry to see if it can be salvaged.


The next step is cleaning the inside of the tank. I was thinking of using a tank sealer but after reading some other guys experience with it and seeing that the tank is baffled at least three times, I'm just going to clean it up and let it roll. I also have to somehow clean the fuel hardlines before tackling the SU carbs and fuel pump. I hope to get the tank cleaned this weekend. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment