Saturday, December 5, 2009

Making a little progress

Today I finally got to work on the MG. Over Thanksgiving break I decided to play outdoors climbing and mountain biking and give the MG a rest. This week I have been missing it; so today I wanted to get some stuff done.

I took a wire wheel to the rusty bits on the back of the gas tank and where the tank meets the body then treated it with some Eastwood rust converter and rust encapsulator. I didn't take pictures because it's an ugly fix and really temporary just to stop any active rust. Remember, this is just a revival of the MG not a restoration. Restoration will come much later.


I also took the carbs off, cleaned up the outside, then took one carb apart completely and it is now soaking in carb cleaner. The book I bought on SU carbs and pumps was a great help. I'm leaving one carb intact just in case I have a really hard time putting the other back together. I must confess that carburetors were one part of an engine that I just didn't "get." I know the principle of how they work but the tuning and rebuilding were beyond me. The SU seems like a carb I can really get into and learn. It's actually pretty simple. We'll see how well I do at putting everything back together and actually getting them to work. Could be famous last words. I also figured out how to put a fuel filter before the fuel pump. It will look quite out of place under the bonnet but after all this work on the carbs I really want to keep any crap from the tank I missed out of there.

I'm still waiting on my last big parts order to arrive but when it does I'll be able to really hammer this car back together. I still feel like I'm very much on track to having this beast running by spring. I can't wait to hear the engine run.

No comments:

Post a Comment