Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A breath of fresh air

After work yesterday I decided to dive back in to the MG and keep plodding away at the things needed to get it ready for start-up. But instead of those things I decided to take the battery out of the VW Westfalia and put it into the MG.  I made a few battery cables, hooked up the battery, and turned the key and there were lights! Wahoo! I hit the horn button and the horns feebly came to life until reaching full strength. At that point I was so psyched that I had to call Bruce and we laughed like a couple of kids. It was his suggestion to see if the starter worked. It was then that I realized that I had no idea how to engage the starter! All this work on the car and I had no idea what any of the buttons on the dash were for! Funny. I pulled the knob that Bruce told me and the starter roared to life. What a thrill to see this little MG get a faint pulse back. I'm still hoping that spring will be a time to drive it. One thing, the fuel pump I tried to rebuild isn't working so I will have to address that, but today I am happy to turn wrenches.At the time I wasn't sure why I wanted to do this with the battery now. It wasn't really necessary, but now it's clear. Sometimes it's hard to go out to the freezing garage and bust my knuckles and keep at it when there is so many other things wanting  my attention. I needed this small victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment