Friday, February 26, 2010

It's all about the fluids

Alright, I have been corresponding with Robert Kirk http://www.kirks-auto.com He's a great guy who enlightened me on why I wasn't getting spark at the distributor or plugs. Sure enough he was right and last night I was able to get the whole deal a-sparkin'. I shot a little starter fluid into the carbs and she stumbled over a few times. I was stoked. Of course I also found out from Robert that the new plug wires I installed had too much built in resistance and that I needed to replace 'em. Poop. I knew it was too good to be true. It works for now but I will replace them when I place my parts order with Robert. He's my new parts guy and all-round go to source for obscure and not so obscure MG info. He'll beat Moss prices and give advice for free to noobs like me. What-a-deal!

Tonight I drained the gear oil out of the transmission and rear differential.  Before I drained anything I made sure I could get to the fill plugs first. That was a tough lesson to learn on a Volkswagen a few years ago. I had to do a lot of cleaning around the fill plug on the rear end but now Maggie has new gear oil front and rear. Smooth.

I must say, with each step closer my excitement builds. Next step is a new fuel pump (the one I tried to rebuild doesn't work) and tires/rims.

If all goes well, Bruce will be taking me for a little ride by spring. Spring has been my deadline since I started this whole ordeal. I still have a lot of tuning to do but it looks like I just might make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment